Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Traditions

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is dressing up with my mom and sisters on Christmas Eve.  I'm not sure exactly when it started - my mom would typically dress my sisters and I in the same dresses for family pictures and such when we were little, but sometime around high school or perhaps slightly earlier, we began sporting the same outfits along with my mother on major holidays.  At some point, my dad even joined in with a coordinating shirt/tie combination. 
Now that we are older, we only really dress alike on Christmas Eve.  Though my sisters and I have complained time and again that we are too old to dress alike, I'm not going to lie - last year we chose to all wear winter white (and style it as we pleased) instead of buying a matching ensemble and I had an anxiety attack about it on Christmas Eve - to the point that I drove to the mall, and braved the last-minute shopper crowds, to buy us a matching outfit to wear on my way to my mom's for dinner! 

I thought I'd share a few pictures of Christmas outfits past so you could see what I'm talking about.  This year, we are going with a theme again (sequins) instead of matching outfits - but I can't promise that I won't end up picking something up for us to wear sometime in the next two days!  And for sure, I plan on maintaining this tradition with my own kids one day!

Christmas 2007 in Silver
Christmas 2008 in Cream and Gold
Christmas 2009 in Purple
I don't have a family picture from this year, but trust me, my mom wore the same dress!

Christmas 2010 in Silver and Black Lace


The pictures of us in red in silver above aren't pictures from any holiday, but when we took an updated family portrait in 2009, we also picked out matching ensembles to wear as well!

Do you have any holiday traditions you love?

No comments: